After a month-long interview process led by our First Vice Chair Dotie Joseph, Outreach Vice Chair Erika Grohoski Peralta, and Secretary Anaruth Solache, I'm excited to announce the new appointments we have made to the Miami-Dade Democratic Executive Committee. I'm confident that these individuals will work diligently to build our Democratic Party.
- General Counsel - Simon Ferro Jr.
- Parliamentarian - Edith Owens
- Sergeant-at-Arms - Justin Pinn
- Credentials Committee Chair - Brandon Alfred
- Affirmative Action Committee Chair - Kevin Chambliss
- Voter Registration Committee Chair - Alex Flores
- Issues Committee Chair - Maria Elena Lopez
- Legislative Liaison - Ron Bilbao
- Interclub Council - Richard Lamondin
- Labor Committee Chair - Sardebra Wright
- Communications Committee Chair - Giovanna Salucci
- Finance Committee Chair - Rafael Velasquez
- Rules and Bylaws Committee Chair - Hank Honig
- Campaign Committee Chair - Steven Dloogoff
- Training Committee Chair - Millie Herrera
We are still in search of a few volunteer positions that will help our committees function better. We need a Hispanic Media Director, Data Director, and a Platform Committee Chair. If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our County Mayor Carlos Gimenez just became the first county executive to cave to Donald Trump's executive order, abandoning our Sanctuary County designation and choosing to IGNORE a 2013 resolution passed unanimously by the county commission.
There will be tens of thousands of families waking up tomorrow in Miami-Dade afraid about what this means for them. This reversal is a slippery slope into making our police officers an extension of Trump's deportation force.
Trump's hateful anti-immigrant rhetoric-turned-policy should be fully rejected. The Mayors of New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle have done just that. We too need to stand up and protect our friends and neighbors. Mayor Gimenez needs to hear from YOU and so does our County Commission.
Here's what you can do:
- Call the Mayor's office and our County Commissioners first thing in the morning. Their info is here.
- Copy and paste this message to your Facebook.
- Tweet @MayorGimenez and let him know how you feel. Here's an example: "Trump's anti-immigrant hate should be rejected! @MayorGimenez don't cave to @realDonaldTrump. We are a Sanctuary County."
- Immigrant Rights advocates are protesting at the Mayor's office tomorrow (Friday 1/27) at 11am. Join them!
- Send this message to 10 of your friends
The country is watching. We need your help now.
Juan Cuba, Chair
I hope you saw the President's farewell speech on Tuesday (ICYMI, here it is). He asked us to believe again, in our ability to create change together. He asked us to reject the politics of cynicism and organize to make our country and our communities stronger. He's right. There's so much work to be done and we need your help to do it.
First, please save-the-date for our 2017 regular General DEC meetings. The doors open at 6pm, meetings start at 7pm, and end approximately at 8:30pm. (locations are still TBD).
- General Meeting - Monday, February 27
- General Meeting - Wednesday, April 26
- General Meeting - Wednesday, June 21
- General Meeting - Monday, August 28
- General Meeting - Monday, October 30
- General Meeting/ Holiday Party - Monday, December 11
TO: Juan Cuba, Chair, Miami-Dade Democratic Executive Committee
FROM: Teresa Gavalda, Out-going Chair, Credentials Committee
SUBJECT: Interim Credentials Committee Report
The credentials committee reviewed and verified the applications of the following Democrats at the December 6, 2016 reorganizational meeting. The committee confirmed the applicants' party registration and identified precinct where vacancies existed. The committee recommended the Democrats listed in the attached table as Elected committee men/women for their respective precincts.Read more