“People wanted that, and they needed that,” said Daniella Levine Cava, a county commissioner who, along with environmental activists, pressed the Republican Miami-Dade County mayor for a more comprehensive approach to resilience. “People were looking for a leader on these issues.”Read more
On Thursday, Annette Taddeo — a Democrat running against Curbelo (and facing a tough primary battle against former Congressman Joe Garcia) — held an event focused on Zika outside Curbelo’s office in Miami.
TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/NSF) – Mosquitoes are an annoying fact of life in Florida. Now, they might also be carrying the next major political issue for the fall campaign.
Amid fears that the mosquito-borne Zika virus could soon make its way to the continental United States — there have already been cases in Florida and elsewhere linked to overseas travel — the disease has rapidly moved up the list of concerns for Florida politicians. The state is close to Latin America, which has been hit hard by cases of Zika contracted from mosquitoes, and is home to a large number of people from Puerto Rico, where the virus also has quickly become a problem.Read more
Joe Garcia is back on the trail. If one has attended any community event in South Dade these past couple of months, there was a fairly good chance of spotting the former congressman. With a newly drawn congressional district, which seems to favor democrats on paper, Garcia feels he has a great shot to unseat the man who unseated him. The chance to flip a house seat will make the general race one of national interest.Read more
TALLAHASSEE — Andrew Korge, the Democratic challenger to state Sen. Anitere Flores of Miami, on Wednesday accused Flores of lying about her environmental record in response to a POLITICO Florida story.
"Flores can't be trusted," Democratic challenger Andrew Korge said in an emailed news release. "She is lying about her record and South Florida is tired of these two-faced politicians.”
Senator Anitere Flores, the Senator now most-associated with the dangerous conditions at the Turkey Point Power Plant once described the relationship between the legislature and state utilities regulators as a "love fest". As citizen concerns over hyper-salinated water mount, Flores' current actions are being called into question as too little too late
We want to congratulate the winners of the May 7 Delegate elections!
- CD23 - Clinton Delegates are Diana Pittarelli, Stephanie Grutman Zauder, Frank Ortis, Henry Rose. Sanders Delegates are Jamie Friend and John Archer
- CD24 - Clinton Delegates are Dorothy Bendross Mindingall, Elizabeth Judd, Edith Owens, Bernard Jennings, Eddie Lewis and Fedrick Ingram. Sanders Delegates are Kira Willig and Chris Riker
- CD25 - Clinton Delegates are Marco Giron and Sandra Ruiz. Sanders Delegate is Amparo Glukstad
- CD26 - Clinton Delegates are Leonarda Duran-Buike, Maria Lindor-Latortue, and Mark Songer. Sanders Delegate is Giancarlo Espinos
- CD27 - Clinton Delegates are Daniella Levine Cava, Daisy Baez, and Ken Russell. Sanders Delegate is Bruce Jacobs
If you would still like to be a delegate, you can still apply to be an At-Large, PLEO or Alternate. Click here to download the 2016 PLEO, At-Large and Alternate Delegate Filing Form. The deadline is Monday, May 9 at Noon.