Miami, FL: The Miami-Dade Democratic Party will be hosting its annual Blue Gala virtually over two nights, Wednesday, July 29 and Thursday, July 30. The special event will feature a number of political leaders and talented entertainers, honoring healthcare and frontline workers who have responded with tremendous dedication during the course of the pandemic. Presidential candidate Joe Biden will close Thursday night with special remarks for the South Florida community.
"Covid-19 has changed the face of campaigning and fundraising, but it has also created a new level of importance for county and state elections, as many residents struggle with basic needs and the insufficient response to the crisis. We hope to provide a platform for some of our local leaders and endorsed candidates to connect with supporters. We have a significant amount of work ahead to ensure voters understand the significance of these elections, and to help them vote safely," said Steve Simeonidis, Miami Dade Democratic Party Chair.
“I was honored to have been asked to Chair the 2020 Blue Gala,” David Richardson, Miami Beach Commissioner, and 2020 Blue Gala Chair said. “This is the most important election of our lifetimes, and Miami-Dade will be pivotal in putting Florida back in the Democratic column, and Joe Biden in the White House. I appreciate all of our friends and institutions who have stepped up to support our local party this year, including everyone who helped us retool this event as a virtual event. I salute you all.”
The Miami-Dade Democratic Party is committed to engaging Democratic voters ahead of the August 18 elections, the first election where term limits come into effect for County Commissioners. Miami-Dade will also elect a new Mayor. The event will be livestreamed at: https://www.facebook.com/events/581691216099283.
These nights will be emceed by local Miami comedian Aaron Shapiro (www.aaronthespeaker.com) and playwright and performer Carmen Peláez (Twitter: @CarmenPelaez).
Confirmed performers for Wednesday night:
Carly Jo Jackson, The Nields, Justine Garcia, Excelsis Percussion Quartet, Kaycee Conlee (comedian), Donzii, Lolo Reskin
Confirmed speakers for Wednesday night:
- David Richardson, Miami Beach Commissioner and Blue Gala Chair
- Marisol Zenteno, Candidate for Miami-Dade Property Appraiser
- Miami-Dade School Board candidates: Dr. Marie-Flore Lindor Latortue, Lucia Baez-Geller, Dr. Mara Zapata, Dr. Nancy Lawther
- Ken Russell, City of Miami Commissioner, District 2
- Eileen Higgins, Miami-Dade Commissioner, District 5
- Cindy Lerner, Former Pinecrest Mayor and candidate for Miami-Dade Commissioner District 7
- FL State Representative candidates: Franccesca Cesti-Browne, Clint Barras, and Ricky Junquera
- Dotie Joseph, FL State Representative
Confirmed artists and performers for Thursday night:
Kimberley Locke, HuDost, Robbie Elias, V. Tiarrá, Carla Bordonada, Walshy Fire, Oigo, Richard Blanco (Poet), Travis Knapp, Mitchell Kaplan
Confirmed speakers for Thursday night:
- Terrie Rizzo, Florida Democratic Party Chair
- Javier Fernandez, FL State Representative
- Nick Duran, FL State Representative
- Cindy Polo, FL State Representative
- Kionne McGhee, FL State Representative and House Minority leader
- Nikki Fried, Commissioner of FL Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Alex Penelas, Former Miami-Dade Mayor
- Daniella Levine Cava, Miami-Dade Commissioner, District 8
- Jose Javier Rodriguez, FL State Senator
- Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, U.S. Representative
- Donna Shalala, U.S. Representative
- Joe Biden, U.S. Presidential candidate and former Vice President
The event will be streamed via Facebook Live starting each night at 7pm. For additional details, please visit www.miamibluegala.com
Sign up for email updates, and join us at county and local club meetings to learn how to get more involved.