I hope you saw the President's farewell speech on Tuesday (ICYMI, here it is). He asked us to believe again, in our ability to create change together. He asked us to reject the politics of cynicism and organize to make our country and our communities stronger. He's right. There's so much work to be done and we need your help to do it.
First, please save-the-date for our 2017 regular General DEC meetings. The doors open at 6pm, meetings start at 7pm, and end approximately at 8:30pm. (locations are still TBD).
- General Meeting - Monday, February 27
- General Meeting - Wednesday, April 26
- General Meeting - Wednesday, June 21
- General Meeting - Monday, August 28
- General Meeting - Monday, October 30
- General Meeting/ Holiday Party - Monday, December 11
Second, we are organizing a couple of events (and a summit!) that you should attend:
- Informal workshop on reforming our antiquated party rules and bylaws this coming Tuesday, January 17 from 7pm-8:30pm at 150 W Flagler St # 2200, Miami, FL 33130. If interested, you can RSVP here (RSVP is required to attend).
- Rafael Velasquez and several other prominent Democrats are organizing our First Fundraiser of 2017 on February 2nd from 6-10pm. Tickets start at $25 and includes food. You can buy your tickets here.
- We are organizing an all-day Summit for Miami-Dade Democrats on Saturday, February 18 (location TBD). We will have panel discussions on the future of the Party from varying perspectives, skill-based training sessions, and orientations for DEC precinct committee members. Please save-the-date and sign-up on this FB page. More info is coming soon.
Third, we want to remind you that we are still taking applications for leadership appointments to different committees including the Issues Committee, Labor Committee, Communications, and more. These are volunteer roles. Application deadline is tomorrow, Friday, January 13.
Fourth, we are searching for talented staff for our Miami-Dade DEC. We are looking to hire an Executive Director, Finance Director, and Organizing Director. We will be accepting applications until Wednesday, January 25. For more information, click here.
Fifth, I would like to congratulate Tomas Kennedy on being elected President of the Progressive Caucus of Miami-Dade and congratulate all of the newly elected officers and the new members who attended Monday's meeting. Everyone can find all of our Democratic Party meetings and activities on our website here. The South Dade Democrats are meeting this coming Tuesday evening and the North Shore Democrats are meeting on mid-day next Thursday. If you would like to see your event on our calendar, please email our Secretary Anaruth Solache at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lastly, progressive organizations around Miami-Dade are organizing events that are coming-up soon. You might be interested in them.
Friday, January 20, 2017 at 6 PM - 10 PM
Inauguration Day Protest
- Bayfront Park Ampitheater located at 301 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, Florida 33132
- Hosted by ATAC: Anti-Trump Action Committee
- From ATAC: "January 20th, 2016 is the scheduled presidential inauguration of Trump. WE ARE PROTESTING. We refuse to make him our president, and we are marching out on the streets to make our voices heard! The hate, the ridiculous eoconomic policies, the degradation of our natural resoureces has got to stop."
Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 1 PM - 5 PM
Women's Rally in South Florida
- Event is taking place at Bayfront Park Ampitheater located at 301 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, Florida 33132
- From event organizer Stephanie Myers: "On January 21, 2017 we will unite in Miami, FL for the Women’s Rally in South Florida. We stand together in solidarity with the Women's March on Washington DC, our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families -- recognizing that our vibrant and diverse South Florida community is the one part of the beautiful strength of our country."
- The event organizers are seeking contributions to pay for event costs. You can contribute here. https://www.gofundme.com/so-fl-womens-rally
Let's get to work and move forward together.
Chair, Miami-Dade Dems
With over 600K registered Democrats in Miami-Dade, we represent the largest number of Democrats of any county in the state of Florida. We want to work with all Democrats to organize and effect change around the issues that will improve lives of those in our community. We invite you to sign up for email updates, and join us at county and local club meetings to learn how to get more involved.
Please consider becoming a sustaining member on the road to victory in 2020