Miami, FL – On August 20th, forty-one House Democrats proposed a special session addressing gun violence in Florida. Republican leadership in both the House and Senate quickly dismissed the idea, rejecting an opportunity to immediately address Florida’s gun violence epidemic.
Hopes and prayers are simply not enough to stop this crisis, we need immediate action and bold leadership to stop the damage being done to our state on a daily basis.
The special session would have addressed 6 common sense changes to improve Florida’s failing gun laws:
- Require background checks for the transfer of all firearms;
- Prohibit the sale, transfer or possession of large capacity magazines;
- Reduce the duration of licenses required to carry concealed firearms;
- Revise requirements for the safe storage of weapons in the home;
- Expand the number of individuals that can petition a court for a risk-protection order where a gun owner is believed to be a risk to themselves or others; and
- Establish an Urban Core Gun Violence Task Force focused on reducing day-to-day gun violence.
WHAT: Press Conference on Rejection of a Special Session on Gun Violence by State House Republicans
- Miami-Dade Democrats including Senator Jason Pizzo (D- Miami),
- Representative Javier Fernández (D- Coral Gables),
- Representative Cindy Polo (D- Hialeah),
- Representative Shevrin “Shev” Jones (D- West Park),
- Representative Dan Daley (D- Coral Springs),
- MOMs Demand Action, and
- Mothers Fighting for Justice.
WHEN: Tuesday, August 27 at 11:00 a.m.
Belafonte TACOLCY Center
6161 NW 9th Avenue
Miami, FL 33127
sign up for email updates, and join us at county and local club meetings to learn how to get more involved.