At the next DEC meeting on Monday, December 11, we will elect a new Treasurer and State Committeeman. The meeting will take place at Firefighters Memorial Building located at 8000 NW 21st St, Miami, FL 33122. The doors will open at 6pm and the meeting will start promptly at 7pm. Please see below for rules and declared candidates.
Voting Members: The list of DEC voting members can be found on our website here. If for some reason you believe your name should be here but is not included, please contact our Credentials Chair John Wander at [email protected]. Please bring some form of identification to the meeting to facilitate the check-in process.
Voting Procedure: Each DEC member may cast only one vote. Voting shall be conducted by signed, written ballots (no secret ballot). A majority of votes (of valid ballots cast) is required to elect each officer. In the event that no candidate receives a majority of votes cast, an additional ballot (a run-off) will be conducted between the two candidates receiving the highest number of votes.
Running for an Officer Position: Only elected precinct committee-men and -women may run for an officer position. This means that At-Large and Automatic members are not eligible to run for Treasurer or State Committeeman. The DEC is printing ballots in advance. If you intend to run for a DEC officer position please email [email protected] by Friday, December 5 at 5pm EST. If you miss this deadline, you can still be nominated from the floor (during the meeting) but your name will not be printed on the ballot. Once you submit your name, it will appear below.
Time Limits for Speeches: Speeches will be limited to 2 minutes per candidate.
If you cannot attend, you can complete a Proxy: A DEC member, who, for any reason, is unable to attend the county's Re-organizational Meeting, may execute a written proxy. A precinct committee member must designate a Democrat residing in their same precinct as their proxy. An automatic member must designate a Democrat residing in their same district (and county) as their proxy. The person holding the proxy may not already be a voting DEC member. A proxy must be sworn before a notary public or validated by two registered Democrats signing as witnesses. A proxy must be submitted in writing to the Credentials Chair prior to the time the meeting is called to order. You can download a proxy form here. Please email your completed proxy form before 5pm on Friday, December 8th to [email protected]. Otherwise, you can present a proxy form in-person at the meeting.
Description of Responsibilities of DEC Officers (DEC Bylaws: Article II, Section 2)
2.6 The Treasurer shall be responsible for keeping accurate financial records of the County Executive Committee and the Steering Committee; shall keep an accurate, complete, and permanent record of all receipts and disbursements; shall issue all checks for the disbursing of funds; and shall prepare and file all financial reports required by law.
2.7 The State Committeeman shall serve as liaison between the State of Florida Democratic Party and the county DEC; liaison between the county DEC and the clubs; members of the State Executive Committee and county DEC Steering Committee; members of the county DEC Campaign Committee; and members of other committees as designated by the DEC Charter and Bylaws.
Please note: members can only cast one vote. If an elected precinct committee member is also an automatic member, they cannot cast two votes. They will only be casting a single vote.
- All Democratic State Senators and Democratic State Representatives residing in Miami-Dade County.
- State Senator Oscar Braynon
- State Senator Daphne Campbell
- State Senator Jose Javier Rodriguez
- State Senator Annette Taddeo
- State Representative Joe Geller
- State Representative Sharon Pritchett
- State Representative Barbara Watson
- State Representative Cynthia Stafford
- State Representative David Richardson
- State Representative Kionne McGhee
- State Representative Roy Hardemon
- State Representative Nick Duran
- State Representative Robert Asencio
- Presidents of duly chartered Democratic Clubs, Presidents of chartered local Democratic caucus chapters, and the President of the Miami-Dade County Young Democrats all of whom must resident in Miami-Dade County.
- The bylaws of the Miami-Dade Democratic Party can be found here.
- The bylaws of the Florida Democratic Party can be found here.
- General questions can be emailed to [email protected]
- Questions concerning Credentials can be emailed to [email protected]
The following members have formally submitted their names as candidates. If your name is not below, your name will not be printed on the ballot. Please email [email protected] with the position(s) you will run for and it will be added below.
- William Byatt
- Gonzalo Vizcardo
- Denzel Burnside
- Carlos Condarco
- Aaron McKinney
- Seth Sklarey