The Democratic Executive Committee (DEC) is the governing body of the Democratic Party in Miami-Dade County. The DEC is composed of committeemen and committeewomen from each precinct.
Per our bylaws, the responsibilities of DEC members are as follows:
All members of the County Executive Committee shall participate in the activities sponsored by the Committee to further campaign support, such as voter registration, active campaigning, volunteer staffing of campaign headquarters, and other special projects as suggested by the Committee. It shall be the responsibility of each member of the Committee to devote 52 hours per year to these activities.
Each County Executive Committee member shall be required to raise funds for the County Executive Committee each year. The Elected and Appointed Members shall raise or write $50.00 per year. Contributions made here.
There are three types of membership:
----- Elected Members shall be qualified electors and shall retain residency and the right to vote within the precinct from which they are elected. They are eligible to vote on all DEC matters, eligible for election of DEC offices, and they are required to attend all DEC general meetings. Democrats can apply to fill vacancies of precincts where there are no current elected members. They must be approved by the Credentials Committee and approved by a majority of the DEC membership present and voting. They will serve the unexpired term of the office which ends in December 2017.
----- At-Large members are appointed by the DEC Chair and approved by a majority of the membership of the DEC present and voting. The term of office for at-large members shall commence on the date of appointment and shall continue for one year. They are eligible to vote on all DEC matters, eligible for election of DEC offices, and they are required to attend all DEC general meetings.
----- Associate organizing members are appointed by the DEC Chair. They will receive all DEC communications and invited to all DEC events and activities. They do not have any attendance requirements and they are not allowed to vote on DEC matters or hold elected office within the DEC.
The current process to become a member are as follows:
- Complete the membership form below
- The credentials committee will meet and verify your voter registration and will check if you precinct is vacant
- if it's vacant, the credentials committee will recommend you as a precinct committee man or woman
- if it's not vacant, the credentials committee will send your name to the Chair for consideration of an At-Large or Associate appointment
- Note: The current list of members can be found here and list of precinct vacancies can be found here.
- The Democratic Executive Committee (DEC) will vote on your membership at their next general meeting
- Once approved, you will officially be a member of the DEC.
- Don't let this process stop you from getting involved. All of our activities are open to all Democrats. While you wait for your membership approval, you can volunteer and get involved with the party.
If the form below is not displaying properly, please visit: http://bit.ly/decapplication